Every year, many of us talk about making an effort to lead healthier lives. Sometimes, we actually make progress (especially around New Years), but statistically most of us start slipping and we revert to our old ways. To help support healthy lifestyles, Reston Hospital Center is re-committing to stepping up this effort. We will be rolling out a wellness program in the coming months that, in addition to the things below, will provide you with the resources you need to live better. However, it will only make a difference if you personally decide to take an active role. Inevitably this change will make a difference both in your personal life and your professional life. The change will require a lot of focused effort until it becomes part of your routine.
Reston Hospital Center’s commitment to healthy living:
- Cafeteria food: Every day in the cafeteria we will be offering more heart-healthy meals that will be highlighted with icons that provide easy references for making better food choices. Some examples of icons include a “Calorie Counter” for both under 500 and 300 calorie meals. Weight Watchers points will also be offered on items in the café when available.
- Reston Therapy and Fitness Center on the second floor of the Pavilion will be offering free gym memberships to employees starting March 1st. A fitness assessment is required for new members. More information will be provided in the coming weeks.
- Healthy cooking classes: The culinary and nutrition team will periodically offer free cooking classes with a particular emphasis on healthy entrees.
- Health profile screenings: Employees can get a free, one time annual health screening that includes cholesterol, Body Mass Index (BMI), blood pressure, bone density and health risk assessment. Through our H2U assessments and wellness program, employees can also earn up to $500 credit towards a health savings account.
- Weight Watchers: A 16-week program with weekly meetings held on the hospital campus, includes weigh-ins and food plans. We will reimburse 50% of the cost for employees who actively participate.
- Nutrition classes: Our staff of certified clinical dieticians will be offering a free one-to-one personal assessment for employees.
- Charity walks: Participate in one of the many charity walks that the employees or the hospital support.
- Educational Series: Based on employee interest, the hospital may offer educational programs on coping with stress, diabetes management, and other health topics
- Walking trail: We will create a loop with mileage markers around the campus.
- On-Line Health Coaching: Personal, confidential, convenient, and non-judgmental, constructs automated counseling sessions around your personal issues and needs. Visit www.HCARewards.com/h2u to get started.
Your health and wellness is important to us. What else can we offer to promote good health?